The Cider Tower was built as part of a steading in the early 18th century and was originally a windmill used for pressing apples from the local orchard. The whole steading fell into disrepair long ago but was gradually restored in 2002 by the previous owners. The Cider Tower is a Grade B listed building, the renovation winning a prestigious award from The Galloway Preservation Society for the best restoration and preservation project of that year.
Today The Cider Tower provides very comfortable and peaceful luxury accommodation for two. It is set in beautiful countryside yet only 10 minutes walk into town.
The master bedroom on the ground floor has a magnificent four poster bed with bathroom and utility across the hall.
Upstairs is the fully equipped kitchen and dining area.
Three further steps take you up to the cosy sitting room with minstrels gallery above.
Out and About
Galloway is known as “Scotland in miniature” and has something for everyone. The area is great for hill and coastal walking, fishing, golf and cycling. The ancient town of Kirkcudbright, a Royal Burgh since 1455, is historically very interesting and has a ruined castle, working harbour, museum and attractive High Street. There are also a number of independent shops and cafes. The town is known as “The Artist’s Town” having been home to EA Hornel, Jessie M King, EA Taylor and their friends in the last century. There are regular summer exhibitions and two permanent art galleries in the town. There is also a comprehensive programme of events throughout the spring and summer.
There are numerous gardens and places of interest within easy reach, including Threave and Logan Botanical Gardens.
You will find local information , maps and guides in The Tower to help you plan your stay. Or you may just want to sit outside on the patio with a glass of wine and admire the view!
The cottage contains everything you will need for a comfortable and enjoyable holiday, including:
- Central heating throughout plus electric stove
- Two 2 seater settees and chaise up in the gallery
- King size four poster double bed with Laura Ashley bedding
- All towels and tea towels included
- Flat screen TV, DVD and CD player
- Electric oven, ceramic hob, fridge, freezer, dishwasher, microwave
- Utility room with washer/drier
- Store cupboard essentials ( stock cubes, tea, ground coffee, sugar, condiments, olive oil. Milk and butter will be in the fridge
- Enough dishwasher tabs and loo rolls for your stay
- Complimentary toiletries
- Hair drier
- Local OS maps, guides and nature books
- Private sitting area to the front of The Tower with BBQ
- Welcoming tea tray awaiting your arrival
- Short break holidays available (except June, July & August)